commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [LANG][GUMP] Take current Lang changes out of main Gump?
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:05:30 GMT
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2009-03-17, Jörg Schaible <> wrote:
>> I always assumed that Gump does not take care about the Maven deps,
>> since it uses its own descriptors.
> That's the theory and it works for build tools that support this
> use-case (read: Ant).
> AFAIK there is no way to make mvn supply more jars to javac than the
> artifacts it knows to depend on.
> The way Gump injects jars into mvn build is described in
> - in short Gump tries to replace the artifacts a mvn build asks for
> with those built by Gump, but it has no way to add more artifacts.
>> However, if I understand Gump correctly, this is what Gump is for -
>> testing against the latest and greatest ;-)
> Absolutely.  And Gump tries hard to achieve that even in the presence
> of tools that make it difficult.

Hmmm. Actually it is possible if the Gump descriptor could be used to map a
specific artifact to a different one, e.g. commons-lang:commons-lang:* to
org.apache.commons:commons-lang-backcomp:3.x. Since CL backcomp must be
dependent on CL, it is available transitively. But I don't know Gump well
enough ...

Interestingly, if we take the chance to use the new groupId
org.apache.commons for 3.x, we can provide a Maven relocation to the
backcomp artifact directly from commons-lang:commons-lang. This would even
offer an update path with Maven dependency resolution ;-)

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message