commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] 3.0 JCIP Annotations
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:21:04 GMT
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> See post from Niall - it causes problems with OSGI bundles.
>
> If anything, I see that as an abuse of optional, because it's not optional.

But, it *is* optional, because the annotations are not required at
runtime.  Putting it in "provided" scope means that it's up to the
users to make sure it is actually provided in the runtime environment
(such as the servlet API or something).  This would make users think
they need to make sure it's there when they really don't.  The
dependency is a compile-time (the default scope), optional dependency.