commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering (was: Java version not specified in POM)
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 07:25:02 GMT
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Dan Fabulich <dan@fabulich.com> wrote:
> The the API in the "java5" branch is backward compatible; the generics and
> varargs are erased at compile time.  Of course, the code has to be compiled
> with target=1.5, but on a Java 1.5 VM you could swap it in and not notice
> the difference.
>
> If that lets us call it "dbutils 1.3" and avoid extra branching work, that'd
> be great.

Calling it 2.0 (and thus changing the package name) does give you more
freedom, too (remove some clutter, simplify the API, etc.).  Let's not
forget that.  Of course, that could be done post-varargs/generics.
I'm not completely familiar with the API, but usually when you
introduce a varargs method, you're replacing an existing array method
along with a one, two, and three-argument method.  I don't think those
sort of changes are backward compatible (existing code would have
"pointed" at the two-argument method for instance).  Again, I don't
know that's the case, but just wanted to make sure.