commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Checkstyle configuration
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:57:27 GMT
>> Is that because of the checkstyle tool, or because of the rules that
>> have been chosen?
>
> Not because of these rules. It's the approach.
>
> I've seen people wasting too much time on this. Builds breaking
> because of wrong coding styles. Terrible!

I thought checkstyle.xml is a commons convention. However, I do net
need such enforced checks in build pom. But I think we should let know
people about the codestyle in this project. This enhances
readabillity. Of course we should enhance our style to the proposed
checkstyle.xml.

I was remembering when I was jumping into compress first. I openend
the BZ2 classes and I felt so hopeless... the code was quite cryptic
to me and so different to that style I was used too. If we would have
clean and consistent codestyle, this may help some younger  devs to
jump into the code and maybe even to contribute patches.

Cheers,
Christian

Cheers,
Christian