commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] redesigning the optimization/estimation packages (phase 2)
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:27:58 GMT
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is going on here is that the special case - linear regression analysis
> - is being discussed as an example of an optimization problem.

Yes.  It is a special case.

But it was germane to the topic, particularly the imposition of a particular
way of converting a residual vector to a quantity to be optimized.  Mostly I
was worried that the API structure for optimization would force itself on
the higher level API's.

> ...  Patches welcome!

Point taken.  I apologize for not providing more them.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve