commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Fabulich <...@fabulich.com>
Subject Re: [DBUTILS] Version numbering (was: Java version not specified in POM)
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 02:26:20 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> The Java5 version is more up for debate. If the API is no longer
> compatible, then we start to lean to 2.0. Especially as calling it 2.0
> allows for more of an overhaul of API.

The the API in the "java5" branch is backward compatible; the generics and
varargs are erased at compile time.  Of course, the code has to be
compiled with target=1.5, but on a Java 1.5 VM you could swap it in and
not notice the difference.

If that lets us call it "dbutils 1.3" and avoid extra branching work,
that'd be great.

-Dan