commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject RE: [VFS] "anonymous" debug logging
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:49:31 GMT
Hi!

> From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
>
> I'm not a big fan of that.

Me too, any decent logging facility should allow to configure the logger on a "per package"
level, so no problem to make the logging silent for a given package.

> I'd prefer to switch to SLF4J and just replace

Everyone in commons land is using commons-logging, no?
There is no good reason to leave this path. Sure, for my work-projects I use slf4j too, lately
I even use the Java Logging API (which is worse), but always by using a the commons-logging
API (not the Impl, just the API)

Everyone wanting to use slf4j can easily do that by using the slf4j-commons-logging adapter
and removing the commons-logging jar. Not a big deal.
There is no benefit in switching to slf4j at all for commons-vfs, or?

> 		if (log.isDebugEnabled())
> 		{
> 			log.debug("putFile: " + file.getName());
> 		}
>
> with
>
> 		logger.entry(file.getName());

This is not the same, in the second example getName() gets evaluated every time, regardless
of the configured log-level. Depending on how complicated it is to collect the message, this
might become a performance problem. the if (log.isXXXEnabled()) prevents that.

I'd prefer to keep it the way it is.

Ciao,
Mario