commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Commons CLI 1.2 (RC5)
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:55:32 GMT
The case for us supporting Java 1.3 is that someone is actively maintaining an application
based on Java 1.3 only and wants to upgrade CLI 1.1 to 1.2. How likely is that?

As we all know, Java 1.3.1 is done: "On Windows, Linux, Solaris 9, and Solaris 10  J2SE 1.3.1
has completed the Sun End of Life (EOL) process." [1]

I say it is time for CLI 1.x to move on to Java 1.4.2.

Gary

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/index.jsp
Full quote: "On Windows, Linux, Solaris 9, and Solaris 10  J2SE 1.3.1 has completed the Sun
End of Life (EOL) process. The EOL transition period was from Oct 25, 2004 until the General
Availability (GA) of Java SE 6 on December 11th, 2006. With this notice, customers are strongly
encouraged to migrate to the current release, Java SE 6.  >   Read More.  A paid Java Vintage
Support Offering is available for those customers who are interested in continuing to obtain
support for the release. Please contact your Sun sales representative for details."

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:11 AM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons CLI 1.2 (RC5)

Duh - ignore that.

Just noticed that ParserTestCase is an abstract class...

I used "mvn ant:ant" to create the build file so I could test with 1.3
and the generated file did not exclude ParserTestCase.

When it is excluded, the tests complete OK.

Perhaps there is a case for renaming that class ;-)

More seriously, if a release targets 1.3, it should include some way
of building and testing the code using 1.3.