commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Robust-Task introduction
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:58:38 GMT

Speaking as a member of the Commons PMC, though not for the ENTIRE PMC:  given the comparisons
between robust-task and [chain], maybe this could be a seed for a [chain] rewrite/2.0 .  Then
you'd still have the question of sandbox grant vs. incubation; the problem with the sandbox
grant AIUI is that as a non-ASF-committer Min would be "reduced" to the status of a community
member, no longer able to make commits directly on the code.  Further, this would require
that some existing Apache committer(s) be willing to take responsibility for the sandbox component
and commit (Min's or others') submitted patches.  With the incubation route, Min would become
a podling committer.  While I would think there would be a fair chance that Commons would
be willing to sign on as sponsoring PMC, I am unaware of any previous podlings that have graduated
to Commons.  Commons being a bit of a special case as TLPs go, the exit criteria for a podling
into Commons are less than
 clear.  With this in mind myself and Henri Yandell quite some time ago worked up a proposal
for a Commons mini-incubator but received little (actually "no" IIRC) feedback.

Food for thought anyway.

-Matt