commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 3.0, what's in; what's out
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:43:04 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> I've removed the enum (was a blocker on JDK 5) and enums (people need
> to use real enums now) packages from Lang's trunk and moved them to a
> lang-backcompat sibling component. I've not made it a branch, it lives
> at the same level as trunk and will need its future to be decided.
+1

> An EnumUtils class has been added to the main lang package.
+1

> I also think the exception package should go. Again - the JDK has
> support for this now and there's no strong value in Lang having an
> alternative to stop people thinking about JDK 1.5. The ExceptionUtils
> class should move up to the main lang package and needs to have the
> Nestable Lang code removed from it. Presumably it still has value.
The problem with removing it directly is that it makes it harder to
upgrade piecemeal. That said, only ExceptionUtils is really needed. A
commons-lang-backwardscompatability.jar might make sense.

> JVMRandom should go. I'm not convinced it's had much use.
Thats hard to tell. Even google searching won't tell you much

> WordUtils and StringEscapeUtils both strike me as 'desirable but
> flawed'. We should consider overhauls.
I suspect both are pretty popular. They mayy need additions, but I don't
think removals are feasible.

> The Security requiring stuff in builder for reflection needs to go
> away imo. Makes it less than useful.
Not sure exactly which code you mean, but everyone in Java is using
private reflection these days.

> I'm still partial to a RegexUtils.
I'd like to see a RegEx builder.

> Plus general generifying, varargs, autoboxing.
> Deletion of all deprecated methods/classes.
 > And the various other backwards incompatible changes that people have
 > been requesting.
+1

StrBuilder should implement CharSequence and Appendable.

Stephen