commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons CLI 1.2 (RC6)
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:02:30 GMT
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:56 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
>>  > Henri Yandell wrote:
>>  >
>>  >> One more try :)
>>  >>
>>  >> Stating that the Java version is 1.4 on the website will be done
>>  >> post-release (I'm going to split the CLI and CLI2 websites).
>>

>> > Another problem of the site:
>>  >
>>  > Project Documentation/Project Reports/Javadoc is the following link:
>>  > http://people.apache.org/~bayard/cli-1.2-rc1/apidocs/index.html
>>  >
>>  > However, this is Javadoc of CLI2 ?!?
>>  >
>>  > Actually most Maven reports (Project Summary, Checkstyle, Cobertura Test
>>  > Coverage, JavaDocs, JDepend, RAT Report, Source Xref, Surefire Report, Test
>>  > JavaDocs and Test Source Xref) cover CLI2.
>>

>> Easy one first while I digest the Test resolution.
>>
>>  The site is the CLI2 site. Post release I'm going to create a CLI-1
>>  site and split the two, demoting the CLI2 site to the sandbox. Anyone
>>  at Apache will then be open to digging in on CLI2 and bringing it to a
>>  release state.
>>
>>  Lesson being... rewrites are new components. New components start in
>>  the sandbox.
>
> nitpick: I assume you mean rewrites that substantially change the API
> here. A rewrite that (largely) preserves API compatibility is a new
> release.
>
> In the case of CLI1/CLI2 (and Avalon) the APIs are completely different.

Absolutely. Lang 3.0 for example is perfectly fine in trunk as it's
not looking to rewrite from scratch, just evolve. Generics
Collections.... less sure.

The tricky part is that CLI2 started that way, but hit a point where
it decided to rewrite. That was the point where it should have started
anew.

I feel this vote thread has got away from me :) Time to read Jörg's
bug and get us thinking about another RC.

Hen