commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject [COMPRESS] Archive Stream refactoring
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:46:23 GMT
The existing ArchiveInputStream and ArchiveOutputStream abstract
classes are quite minimal. Seems to me that there is quite a lot of
common code that they could provide.

For example, if the Stream was stored as a protected variable, then
they could provide generic implementations for many of the stream
methods, e.g. read() and read(byte[]) and close().

I know that the existing implementations mostly do all of this already
(I recently added some missing methods), but the implementations vary
somewhat, and should make it easier to add new implementations.

We could also add some new methods with partial implementations, for example

putArchiveEntry(File)

extractFile(File basedir, Entry) and possibly
getNextFile()

WDYT?

I can post sample implementations on JIRA for review if there is any
support for these ideas.