commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] 3.0 JCIP Annotations
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:31:01 GMT
On 20/03/2009, Eric Bowman <ebowman@boboco.ie> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>
> > On 20/03/2009, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > > The Maven folks verified that putting a dependency in
> > >  <scope>provided</scope> will not create a runtime dependency.
This
> > >  should equal a compile-only scope.
> > >

> > The problem with that is that the developer has to provide the
> > annotation jar in order to run the compile. This is an extra stage.
> > I'm not sure what it involves.
> >
> > If we can find a method to automate the provision process within the
> > Maven build, then that would work. Otherwise, we are just making it
> > awkward for developers.
> >

>  This seems like a missing piece in maven.  There should be a scope that
> covers exactly this case, like "compileNotRuntime" or something like that.

My bad, sorry.

The scope "provided" is what is required.

I misunderstood the documentation to mean that the user had to provide
the jar at compile-time, however it only requires the user to provide
the jar at run-time.

"provided" does cause Maven to check the repository at compile-time,
which should solve the Maven issues raised in the thread.

I have now tried it (after I deleted jar from repo) and it all worked well.
Sorry for the noise.