commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Some merging in zip package
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:06:52 GMT
On 2009-02-10, Mark Fortner <phidias51@gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant specifically if I was using this library at both ends of the
> equation.

Then if you don't specify an encoding explicitly, you will have a
problem, yes.  Of course only, if your file names have non-ASCII
characters in the first place since most native encodings happen to
agree on the ASCII subset.

> I think Linux may default to the UTF-8 encoding, and Windows to the
> ISO-8859-1 encoding.

It's way worse that that 8-)

On Windows, it probably is locale dependent, meaning that you may end
up getting different "i" characters on a Turkish locale, for example.

Stefan