commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Some merging in zip package
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:57:12 GMT
On 2009-02-10, Mark Fortner <phidias51@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ZipArchiveOutputStream will now use the platform's native encoding
>>> instead of UTF8 by default now, while JarArchiveOutputStream
>>> explicitly sets the encoding to UTF8.  Does anybody consider this a
>>> problem?

> What happens if you try to take a file that was created on a machine with
> one default encoding, and send it to another machine with a different
> default encoding (i.e. Linux  -> Windows)?

It depends on what you use to extract the archive, I guess.  In a
situation like this you are much better off specifiying the encoding
explicitly.

Most tools don't assume UTF-8 (the old default) at all, so you
wouldn't be able to extract an archive created by the jar command (or
the prevision version of ZipArchiveOutputStream) in a scenario like
this either.

Stefan