commons-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <>
Subject Re: [net] +=DNS ...?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:13:48 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Rory Winston <> wrote:

> Sounds great .... a DNS client was one area I felt could be added to [net]
> for a while now (the other being ssh/scp support).

It's not really a DNS client (although java DNS is notoriously
broken), the code is really a netmask calculator for both dotted quad
pairs and CIDR notations and a matcher for asking "is this IP within
this netblock?". It currently uses a DNS client so you can pass in
hostname but there's been some discussion about just changing to to
InetAddress, I'm trying this out in Qpid.

> Can you point me to the existing client code in james?

The james code I lifted is at
and I'm hacking on it at

- Aidan

To unsubscribe, e-mail: