commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] CLI 1.2 release (RC2)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 03:57:35 GMT
I'll extract a unit test from our code and post a new ticket.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:flamefew@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 7:10 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [VOTE] CLI 1.2 release (RC2)

I think it's a showstopper - that was a fix due to infinite looping
causing an OOM. Sounds like you have a test case that isn't covered by
the current tests.

Hen

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Gary Gregory
<GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hello Hen:
>
> I've encountered a backwards compatibility issue in our application unit test suite related
to [CLI-162].

> With version 1.1, I can print call HelpFormatter#printHelp(String,Options) without any
problems without our options. When I replace 1.1 with 1.2 I get:

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Text too long for line - throwing
exception to avoid infinite loop [CLI-162]:

> Since the only thing that I changed is the CLI version, I assume that this means that
the HelpFormatter format changed between 1.1 and 1.2. Is that so?

> I worked around this by calling the HelpFormatter API with a width large enough to avoid
the RE. Sadly this makes CLI 1.2 not 100% binary compatible with 1.1.

> Before I go any further and extract my code into a JIRA ticket, is this a showstopper?
If not, there's plenty of work I need to do before I spin my wheels on extracting the code.