commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] CLI 1.2 release (RC2)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:33:28 GMT
Hello Hen:

I've encountered a backwards compatibility issue in our application unit test suite related
to [CLI-162].

With version 1.1, I can print call HelpFormatter#printHelp(String,Options) without any problems
without our options. When I replace 1.1 with 1.2 I get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Text too long for line - throwing exception
to avoid infinite loop [CLI-162]:

Since the only thing that I changed is the CLI version, I assume that this means that the
HelpFormatter format changed between 1.1 and 1.2. Is that so?

I worked around this by calling the HelpFormatter API with a width large enough to avoid the
RE. Sadly this makes CLI 1.2 not 100% binary compatible with 1.1.

Before I go any further and extract my code into a JIRA ticket, is this a showstopper? If
not, there's plenty of work I need to do before I spin my wheels on extracting the code.

Thanks,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:flamefew@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:01 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: [VOTE] CLI 1.2 release (RC2)

Apologies for the revote. I've added a note to the release page to
check the NOTICE file's copyright year.

There should be no difference between the two other than the RC1->RC2
in the pom and the updated year in the NOTICE file.

Tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/cli/tags/cli-1.2-RC2

Site remains unchanged:

http://people.apache.org/~bayard/cli-1.2-rc1