commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [io] Version for Java 1.4
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 02:15:14 GMT
An IO version for java 5+ soon would be great. I'd be happy with our first IO 2.x release being
just an internal clean up of anything that benefits of Java 5 API along with generics.

Since Sun is about is EOL 1.4, I'm not sure we should do much more than bug fixes for IO 1.x.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Pemberton [mailto:niall.pemberton@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:05 AM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Commons IO trunk is already using Java 5 features (which is nice), but
> I was wondering about how we can make the next IO release usable in
> environments that still run Java 1.4. For example I've just added a
> few extra classes (see IO-192 and IO-193) that I'd like to start using
> in projects like Apache Jackrabbit that still target Java 1.4 as the
> base platform.
>
> One option that we use in Apache Tika is the Maven retrotranslator
> plugin. It produces an extra retrotranslated version of the jar
> artifact for use in Java 1.4 environments. Another option is to
> maintain a separate branch for a Java 1.4 (or older) version of
> Commons IO.
> Any thoughts on this?

We created a branch before the Java 1.5 changes were started:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/io/branches/IO_1_4_BRANCH/

I think the new Java5 stuff in trunk should be released as IO 2.0 - so
we could release a IO 1.5 version that is for JDK 1.4. Having said
that JDK 1.4 is so old now I don't really think we should bother
supporting it and just focus on getting a release of the latest stuff
out.

Niall