commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Some merging in zip package
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:36:35 GMT
I am also not so sure this really all that bad. I guess there are 3 scenarios

1: the archive standard is known to use a specific encoding
2: the encoding is specified inside the archive (which is similar to 1)
3: we have no clue about the encoding of the strings in the archive

Unless I am missing something we are fine for 1+2 because as long as
we create the strings as we should. It's up to the user of compress to
turn this into something he can use on his platform.

For 3 there is just no point. All we can do is provide a way to get
the name and the user needs to figure out the conversion. Nothing we
can do about it.

So I guess we all we need to do is to be sure not to create Strings in
the default encoding for 1+2.

Or what am I missing?

cheers
--