commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io] Version for Java 1.4
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:04:34 GMT
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Commons IO trunk is already using Java 5 features (which is nice), but
> I was wondering about how we can make the next IO release usable in
> environments that still run Java 1.4. For example I've just added a
> few extra classes (see IO-192 and IO-193) that I'd like to start using
> in projects like Apache Jackrabbit that still target Java 1.4 as the
> base platform.
>
> One option that we use in Apache Tika is the Maven retrotranslator
> plugin. It produces an extra retrotranslated version of the jar
> artifact for use in Java 1.4 environments. Another option is to
> maintain a separate branch for a Java 1.4 (or older) version of
> Commons IO.
> Any thoughts on this?

We created a branch before the Java 1.5 changes were started:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/io/branches/IO_1_4_BRANCH/

I think the new Java5 stuff in trunk should be released as IO 2.0 - so
we could release a IO 1.5 version that is for JDK 1.4. Having said
that JDK 1.4 is so old now I don't really think we should bother
supporting it and just focus on getting a release of the latest stuff
out.

Niall