commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] When are OpenIntToDoubleHashMap instances equal? WAS Re: svn commit: r742257 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/ java/org/apache/commons/math/util/ test/org/apache/commons/math/linear/
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:15:04 GMT
billbarker@apache.org wrote:

 Do we need this?
> +        if (mask != other.mask)
> +            return false;

Or this?
> +        if (!Arrays.equals(states, other.states)){

It would seem reasonable to me that two OpenIntToDoubleHashMaps would be
equal iff they contain they contain the same entries and have the same
default (missingEntries).   Including the private fields above in equals
will make it more sensitive than that.  Since mask relates to capacity,
I guess it could make sense to include that in equals comparisons, but
unless I am misunderstanding how put works, I think that including
states in the comparison could make two instances unequal if their
entries have been added in different orders.  Do we want this?

Phil