commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Tracking Contributors in the POM
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:36:48 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2009-02-20, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
>>> automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
>>> Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?
>
>> Not sure there is a policy.
>
> Thought so.

Yep. Personally I add people when it's a new feature or notable
enhancement, but not for bugfixes. Loosely speaking.

>> I've usually added contributors only if it's more than just 1-2
>> patches. Of course I name them in the commit.
>
> OK.

The JIRA contribution report (sales pitch! :) ) can help here. When
doing a release, look at the list of people who contributed to that
release and add any who are missing.

>>> Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
>>> the email address?
>
>> I used to include the email address but resorted to the name only when
>> I "realized" that email addresses or just not forever.
>
> We've decided to remove each and every email address in Ant long ago
> since they are really only sources for "please help me mails" that
> should almost always go to the user list instead.

+1

>>> For commons-compress I'm going to track down the contributors to Ant's
>>> original code base since the current state really doesn't reflect the
>>> contributions of the people who wrote the code in the first place.
>
>> Those should be listed in the NOTICE.txt IMO ...which currently lists:
>
> Really?  I thought NOTICE played an important role for the legal stuff
> we must put in there - and shouldn't contain anything beyond what we
> legally must include.

Agreed. The only time I've put something in a NOTICE in this type of
use case, was when someone had put their copyright in the patch and it
was too dated a patch to figure out otherwise.

>> Original BZip2 classes contributed by Keiron Liddle
>> <keiron@aftexsw.com>, Aftex Software to the Apache Ant project
>> Original Tar classes from contributors of the Apache Ant project
>> Original Zip classes from contributors of the Apache Ant project
>> Original CPIO classes contributed by Markus Kuss and the jRPM project
>> (jrpm.sourceforge.net)
>
> My ego is big enough that I don't care much today (a few years ago
> things were quite different and I was thrilled to see my name in a
> commit email).
>
> Those statements really downplay the importance of very few
> individuals to the original code.  I feel a bit uncomfortable hiding
> their names behind "contributors of Ant".  If you looked at the POM as
> it is right now - and thus at the generated Maven site, you won't see
> the names of the people who have actually written the code at all.

We should just sign everything "The Commons" :)

Hen