commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] First version of ChangeSet design
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:32:23 GMT
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
>> OK, please feel free to give me your ideas here. I gladly refactor the
>> code now, before it becomes to big.
>
> I've already removed the worker  :)

Yes, just checked it. I'll sound like the guys at "who want to be a
millionaire", but this came to my mind after you said you didn't like
the worker. :-)

About the testcases. I think, that

"Also the question whether we should simplify changes before we apply them
add test.txt
mv test.txt test2.txt
What will that it be? It's obvious it's the same as just
add test2.txt
but we would have to merge this in the changeset."

We currently have no mv in the ChangeSet and I would propose that we
start with delete and add operations (testcases below) for version
0.1.

"Also how do we deal with directories?
delete dir1
add dir1/test.txt

mv dir1/test.text dir2/test.txt
delete dir1"

In a TAR file, you have to delete all files with dir1 in name, if you
do a delete dir1. Means, you do a "dir1/*".  If I remember right, I
don't know a single archiver who can handle empty folders. ZIP can't
and TAR can't too. I am unsure about AR and CPIO, but I guess it's the
same here cause it's similar to tar.

OK. Some testcases:

1) delete dir1
Should result in delete dir1/*

2) delete dir1 + add dir1/test.txt
Should delete dir1/* and add dir1/test.txt at the end

3) add dir1/test.txt + delete dir1
Should add dir1/test.txt and delete it afterwards. However, here we
need some merger stuff. I think we can surpress the add operation if
there is a delete operation for this dir.

4) mv dir1/test.text dir2/test.txt + delete dir1"
Moves the file to dir2 and deletes everything in dir1

5) add dir1/bla.txt + mv dir1/test.text dir2/test.txt + delete dir1"
Add dir1/bla.txt should be surpressed. All other dir1 files will be
deleted, except dir1/test.text will be moved

6) delete dir1 + add dir1/bla.txt
Like in every shell, I would think that this would delete all dir1/*
files first, and then adds a new file bla.txt in dir1.

7) delete dir1 + add dir1/bla.txt + delete dir1
Deletes dir1/* first, then surpresses the add of bla.txt cause there
is a delete operation later.

All for now :-)
Cheers
Chris.