commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] svn commit: r734473
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2009 03:08:25 GMT
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:22 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/2009, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>> > From: Phil Steitz [mailto:phil.steitz@gmail.com]
>>

>>  > Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>>  > > Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>  > >>

>>  > Therefore,
>>  > >> at the least, such changes deserve notable mentions in the release
>>  > >> notes and often additional thought about the version number of the
>>  > >> next release.
>>  > >

> As far as I can tell, making these static fields final will only break
> code that tries to write to the field(s).
>
> If code merely references the field, then it will continue to compile
> and run against a final-ised version of the class.

<snip/>

Yup.

> Any code that writes to the fields in question is dubious at best, so
> I personally don't see any problem in breaking it.
>
> Surely "jar hell" can only happen to incorrect code in this case?
>
> Or am I missing some subtlety here?

<snap/>

It may be possible that for some constrained usage pattern the non
final protected field may be written to, and with said constraints it
may be less dubious or not at all. I think whats being pointed out
here is that at some point a design decision was made to have a non
final protected field and its hard to say what usage implications that
has had in the wild.

-Rahul