commons-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Including AL Code from other projects
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:57:40 GMT
2009/1/8 Antonio <antonio.petrelli@gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/8 James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com>:
>> I am by no means an expert on licenses and stuff, but it would seem to
>> me that if the authors are willing to sign a code grant, then why not
>> let them do it?
>
> Because they want to be mentioned! With the software grant they
> transfer the rights to the foundation, they won't have any right on it
> (they still can continue build their version though).
> Probably you are confusing the license with the copyright.

I forgot other things, sorry... well I write things as they come to mind :-)
A software grant involves an IP clearance process:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
This is usually the path to follow when a piece of software is donated
(not only few classes, but an entire package).
It is somewhat a lengthy process, for an example see:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/velocity-tiles.html

Antonio