commons-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio <>
Subject Re: [compress] Including ASL Code from other projects
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:11:28 GMT
2009/1/8 Antonio <>:
> 2009/1/8 Christian Grobmeier <>:
>>> The software grant *donates* the code to the foundation, so all the
>>> rights become of Apache itself, not of the owners.
>>> The previous owners of the right will be mentioned only in the IP
>>> (intellectual property) clearance form.
>>> In your case I suggest to:
>>> 1. add the code in your software;
>>> 2. add the copyright information on the top of the file that contains
>>> it, before the license header.
>>> 3. add in the NOTICE file a reference like this:
>>> This software contains code developed by (copyright owner) for the
>>> project (name of the project): (project website).
>> cool. So I can create a patch (with copyright information) myself and
>> go on, not caring about software grants?
> Yep, it's the ASL that permits it :-)

Thinking on it twice, if it uses ASL v.1.1, I think it's better to
copy the entire license header because of this statement:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message