commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Questions about sparse implementations
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:59:32 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> I've been working on a SparseRealVector that implements RealVector but is
> backed by OpenIntToDoubleHashMap.  Unlike SparseRealMatrix, the goal is more
> speed than space.  Mostly it is going well, but running into a few problems
> where some RealVector methods are almost nonsensical for sparse vectors
> (e.g. mapInvToSelf).
>
> Since the default value of OpenIntToDoubleHashMap is final, this means that
> I currently have to replace the map in this case (so it really isn't 'self'
> afterwards).  So what i'm asking is if it is better to have the default
> value mutable or to allow the backing to be replaced in a "*ToSelf" method.

I don't understand the question.  Is it that different *ToSelf methods
require different missingEntries values?  I don't follow how that could
be the case.  In any case, the question has me thinking that at least
OpenIntToDoubleHashMap should expose a getter for missingEntries.  I
agree with Luc though that this field should not be mutable.

Phil