commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] svn commit: r734473
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 03:07:49 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM,  <sebb@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Author: sebb
>>> Date: Wed Jan 14 10:36:07 2009
>>> New Revision: 734473

>>> Log:
>>> Make non-private static fields final
>> <snip/>
>>
>> Note that the above breaks binary and source compatibility. Therefore,
>> at the least, such changes deserve notable mentions in the release
>> notes and often additional thought about the version number of the
>> next release.
>
> With such a low level and widely used component as DBCP, changing
> binary compatability will cause users lots of pain (unless there is a
> specific plan here).
>
> Possible solutions include
> - don't make a binary/source incompatible change
> - change the package name
>
> We shouldn't create any more jar hell situations.
I agree with Stephen on this.  This is a needless break.  I would prefer
to limit changes to what is required to support compilation under JDK
1.6.   Otherwise, we need to target a 2.0 (and consider changing package
name) and as there does not appear to be collective energy to push out a
1.2.3 bugfix release, I would really like to see 1.3 usable by current
users as there are some nasty bugs that have been fixed in trunk.