commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on RC3
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:07:11 GMT
Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> Siegfried Goeschl a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> the following changes were made regarding the feedback from the previous
>> vote
>>
>> 1) using "org.apache.commons"/"commons-exec" as groupId/artifactId
>> 2) using SVN tag "EXEC_1_0_0" instead of "EXEC_1_0_0_RC3" (Rahul Alkolkar)
>> 3) fixed folder name in the source distribution (Oliver Heger, Jörg
>> Schaible)
>> 4) fixed STATUS regarding deprecation of System.getEnv (Jörg Schaible)
>> 5) added a section to FAQ regarding setting the executable bits for the
>> test scripts (Jörg Schaible)
>> 6) removed the "*.asc.md5" and "*.asc.sha1" from the uploaded files
>> (Sebastian Bazley)
>> 7) removed JUnit XML output formatter to pass the regression tests on
>> JDK 1.3 (Sebastian Bazley)
>> 8) added my PGP keys to SVN and http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>> (Sebastian Bazley)
>>
>> So it is time to call a vote on commons-exec-1.0.0 again ...
>
> I've run findbugs, it shows the following issues:
>
> DefaultExecutor (line 203)
>   setExitValues(int[]) may expose internal representation by storing an
>   externally mutable object into DefaultExecutor.exitValues
>
> DefaultProcessingEnvironment (lines 169 and 171)
>   Hard coded reference to an absolute pathname
>
> DefaultProcessingEnvironment (line 108) and
> OpenVmsProcessingEnvironment (line 89)
>   concatenates strings using + in a loop
>
> OpenVmsProcessingEnvironment (line 114) and
> MapUtils (line 72)
>   inefficient use of keySet iterator instead of entrySet iterator
>
> The first issue should probably be fixed by cloning the array, but does
> not appear to be an important problem. The second issue is a false
> positive (if findbugs were activated by default in the pom, this could
> be prevented by a configured exclusion file). The remaining issues are
> harmless.

I've created a Jira issue
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EXEC-35) and provided patches for
these.

> The Javadoc for the OS class still refers to ant, this should be
> replaced by a more generic name like "the application". The javadoc is
> missing for many methods in the Executor interface, even some non
> obvious ones like setExitValues (who should call it ? what do the
> various entries of the array mean ?). This interface seems to be a
> central point of the component and will be the first one read by users,
> so it should be thoroughly documented.

Looking at the source in order to provide another patch for this one, I
noticed the documentation for methods was there but does start like
regular comment-block not javadoc, there is only one '*' missing on all
methods. The global interface documentation is still missing though. So
fixing this should be easy. I did not check if other classes have the
same ill-formed javadoc.

Luc