commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] J6 deprecations
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 19:31:36 GMT
On 08/01/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Looks like the main remaining item with the J6 branch is the removal
>  > of deprecated code.
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  WRT the cleanup you mean?

Yes.

>  Perhaps. In general, that is by far not the
>  main remaining item. In terms of making the branch release-ready, the
>  main pending item is re-writing the parser so we can eliminate the
>  [digester] and therefore [beanutils] dependencies in this branch.
>  While its not trivial, the task shouldn't be too hard either given
>  cycles (perhaps using javax.xml.stream, others ideas welcome too). The
>  good thing is that this piece of work doesn't require an intricate
>  understanding of SCXML, since we merely need to populate the Commons
>  SCXML object model -- the oacs.model package -- with the fairly
>  obvious mappings from SCXML schema.
>
>  WRT action items, the BRANCHINFO file is kept fairly upto date. I made
>  some minor tweaks minutes ago:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/branches/J6/BRANCHINFO.txt
>

>  > In the case of SCXMLSemanticsImpl it looks like the two lines of code
>  > can just be removed as the comment says (the test still passes if I do
>  > this).
>  >

> <snap/>
>
>  Yup.
>

>  > I'm not sure about the changes needed to SCXMLSerializer - can one
>  > just assume p = null at line 170?
>  > - i.e. remove the call to getParallel() and the first part of the if statement?
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  Yes (ofcourse running the tests will tell us if we have any old school
>  documents left behind).
>

>  > If so, then the deprecated methods getParallel() and isOrthogonal()
>  > can be removed from the State class.
>  >
>  > The remaining deprecations look a bit trickier.
>  >
>  > Transition.getTarget() is called by SCXMLSerializer.serializeTarget(),
>  > both of which are deprecated, but the latter is called by
>  > SCXMLSerializer.serializeTransition() which is not.
>  >

> <snap/>
>
>  Both methods just need to be blown away, and the corresponding code in
>  serializeTransition() can be removed. Basically it means we used to
>  allow such markup before:
>
>  <transition ...>
>     <target>
>     </target>
>  </transition>
>
>  Now we don't.
>

>  > serializeTarget() is called during testing by
>  > testSerializeTransitionEscapeXML(SCXMLSerializerTest.java:325)
>  > however it does nothing as getTarget() returns null.
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  Yup, not important anymore.

So presumably the following commented lines can be removed?

//        boolean next = !SCXMLHelper.isStringEmpty(t.getNext());
//        if (next) {
//            b.append(" target=\"" + t.getNext() + "\"");
        b.append(">\n");
//        boolean exit = serializeActions(b, t.getActions(), indent + INDENT);
//        if (!next && !exit) {
//            serializeTarget(b, t, indent + INDENT);

The tests run OK when commented as above.