commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject [SCXML] Class cast due to "bad" test data [was Re: svn commit: r732174 -etc]
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:57:56 GMT
On 07/01/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

>  >> By the way, the Exception handling changes have revealed a possible
>  >> bug - a class cast was being swallowed:
>  >>
>  >> testExample01Sample(org.apache.commons.scxml.env.javascript.JSExampleTest)
>  >>  Time elapsed: 0.281 sec  <<< ERROR!
>  >> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Double cannot be cast to
>  >> org.w3c.dom.Node
>  >>        at org.apache.commons.scxml.env.javascript.JSEvaluator.evalLocation(JSEvaluator.java:195)
>  >>
>  >> This was previously being converted to a SCXMLExpressionException.
>  >>
>  > <snap/>
>  >
>  > I'll take a look now -- thats the package I'm least familiar with so
>  > it'll be good to go through it anyway.
>  >

> <snap/>
>
>  Turned out to be an error in the test document, should be fixed.

I see that you have chnaged the test data, and it now passes the test.

However, what if a user has such a document?
Should it really generate a Class Cast Exception?

It looks like the error was not being detected previously because the
ClassCast was converted to SCXMLExpressionException which was being
handled by the Assign class.

Is that the correct behaviour for invalid data?

I think at the very least the code needs to catch the Class Cast.