commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Commons Command proposal
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:59:25 GMT

--- Karl Wettin <kalle@apache.org> wrote:

> We are ready to pop it in the sandbox. I'll act as
> moderator for Erics
> patches.
>
> I can't find anything about limitations on sandbox
> projects, are there
> any? Compare with Apache Labs that does not allow
> releases.
>

> I'm cc:ing Apache Legal.
>
> Regarding paper work, we can get a software grant
> faxed over in no
> time. We are the original authors of all this code.
> Do we both need to
> send a grant? The original idea for this library
> came up working for
> TomTom. They have given us their permission to
> rewrite the project
> from scratch, and this we did. Is it nessecary for
> TomTom to send a
> grant too releasing some sort of IP? I really don't
> think there is an
> IP issue here at all, but I am not a laywer.

If it is rewritten from scratch independently of any
actual TomTom code, my understanding is that the ASF
doesn't need anything from TomTom.  Further, if you,
as a committer, were the only author you could
probably just drop it into the sandbox.  But since
Eric is your co-author (and as I understand it, not a
committer), a grant would be needed from him.  That
being the case it might be more representative of the
provenance of the code for the grant to include both
of you as its original creators/copyright owners.
Others may disagree, but that's my take.

HTH,
Matt