commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject [VFS] tests and project status
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2009 23:37:54 GMT
I'm working on commons vfs trying to implement webdav using the
Jackrabbit client. I finished coding it but before trying to test that
I wanted to test the existing providers to make sure I have a basic
setup working. I've looked at http://commons.apache.org/vfs/testserver.html
  and a number of things don't make sense to me.

1. It references test-data/read-tests. No such directory exists in
subversion. Instead, the directory is actually named test-data/
basedir, which seems like a mistake.
2. It describes doing things with ant or the RunTest class, but the
build mvn install works fine, although many of the unit tests being
run are incorrectly set up (see below).
3. test-data/write-tests doesn't exist. It should be present in
subversion with a dummy file so that mvn test will just work, or it
should be created automatically when running the build.
4. None of the provider test cases actually extend Junit TestCase, so
nothing happens when you try to run them.
5. Changing AbstractProviderTestConfig to extend
AbstractProviderTestCase, which seems like what should happen
generates an error since AbstractProviderTestCase declares
getBaseTestFolder to be protected while it is also declared in the
ProviderTestConfig interface, which means it has to be public in
AbstractProviderTestCase.
6. Fixing all this and then running mvn test gets all kinds of errors,
even on some of the providers that should work - like the local
provider.

I started all this on vfs trunk and noticed that it seems to be for an
as yet unreleased 2.0 so I went an  looked at the 1.x branch but it
doesn't look a whole lot different.

Do these tests really run?

Should I be working on trunk (2.0) vs vfs-1-trunk (1.x)? Is there any
real difference between them?

Ralph