commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] HierarchicalConfiguration in configuration2
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:12:20 GMT

On Dec 13, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Ralph Goers schrieb:
>>

>> The problem I have is with the interface. Forcing applications to
>> use AbstractHierarchicalConfiguration as the "base" configuration
>> object they code to is wrong, IMO. Either they should use the
>> Configuration interface, which would need to include the
>> hierarchical APIs such as configurationAt, or they should use
>> HierarchicalConfiguration, which should be converted to an interface.
>> If the goal - which I think was a good one - is to make everything
>> be hierarchical, then Flat is just a special case where no subtrees
>> exist, i.e. the root of the hierarchy is a leaf node. The only
>> thing you really need to do in that case is prohibit adding child
>> nodes.
>> So my recommendation would be to change the Configuration interface
>> to include the hierarchical methods.
>> Ralph
> I fully agree. It was intended to add the methods for hierarchical
> configurations to the Configuration interface, so that everything is
> available through this interface.
>
> Unfortunately I did not make too much progress in refactoring the
> configuration2 branch. My idea was to make all configurations
> hierarchical first (and the flat package was a step into this
> direction) and then extend the Configuration interface. It would
> also be possible to do it the other way around; then we would have
> to add dummy implementations for the new methods to all
> configurations which are not yet hierarchical.

I don't think any dummy implementations are needed.  If
BaseConfiguration extended AbstractHierarchicalConfiguration instead
of AbstractFlatConfiguration it would need to override createNode to
disallow node creation and register the FlatNodeHandler . Other than
that what else would need to be done?