commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] HierarchicalConfiguration in configuration2
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:54:52 GMT

On Dec 15, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Ralph Goers schrieb:
>> On Dec 13, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>>>
>> I don't think any dummy implementations are needed.  If
>> BaseConfiguration extended AbstractHierarchicalConfiguration
>> instead of AbstractFlatConfiguration it would need to override
>> createNode to disallow node creation and register the
>> FlatNodeHandler . Other than that what else would need to be done?
> So you mean that AbstractFlatConfiguration is not needed as a base
> class for non-hierarchical configurations?

Yes, Any code in it that is needed could move to BaseConfiguration.

> Its main functionality is to provide support for creating the tree
> of configuration nodes on demand and keep it up-to-date. Derived
> classes can still operate on their native data structures, e.g. maps.
>
> If you extend AbstractHierarchicalConfiguration directly, wouldn't
> you have to implement the handling of nodes yourself?

I don't think so. The main reason is that a Flat configuration
shouldn't be able to have any child nodes so all that is needed is
making sure they can't be created.

> But anyway, its a while since I deeply looked into these things. If
> you want to try something out, don't hesitate!

OK. I haven't delved too deeply in this. All I've been doing really is
working on trunk and then trying to figure out how to port it to the
branch.

Ralph