commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Grünewaldt <>
Subject Re: [math] xdoc latex <-> mathml support
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:02:06 GMT
see below:

Luc Maisonobe schrieb:
> Bernhard Grünewaldt a écrit :
>> Hello,
>> I am new here so I don't know if it's correct to ask here for it, but:
>> Is it possible to have the latex and graphviz plugin for the apache
>> commons wiki installed?
>> Latex Plugin:
>> Graphviz Plugin:
>> Math Wiki:
>> I would like to add a documentation about the FastHadamardTransformer
>> which includes latex equations and some nice graphs:
>> Or is this page the right place for it?
> I think this is a better place. It is the official user guide which is
> bundled with the source.
>> If yes, which syntax (MoinMoin syntax, Dokuwiki, plain HTML) does it use?
> It uses xdoc described here:
> The source files are in the subversion tree. Starting from the top
> directory of the project where the pom.xml files is, the user guide
> directory is here: src/site/xdoc/userguide. The html files are generated
> using maven2 thanks to the following command:
>   mvn site
> Unfortunately, this format does not support mathematical syntax. In
> fact, depending on doxia version, it may even not support standard HTML
> 4.0 entities like &pi; or &nabla; (see
> The current published
> version of doxia seems to be 1.0-alpha-4, but according to this message
> ( new versions should be
> published soon.
> Doxia supports others formats as well, and they can even be mixed on a
> page basis (i.e. you can have one page generated from apt, another one
> from xdoc ...). The following page lists several supported modules:
> The
> documentation is ... scarce. Beware that some formats are output formats
> only (typically LaTeX).
> As far as I am concerned, I would be happy to change our documentation
> format to something more math-friendly. I think we will at least have to
> wait until the new version of doxia is published and look at what it
> provides (and perhaps contribute to it if time allows).

Ok, I will add the docu to the xdoc files in the repo.
(I will generate a diff and mail it to you)

How about adding MathML to the generated xdoc xhtml pages.
Here is a example xhtml page with mathml support:

Here is described how to convert latex to mathml:

If we add the mathml namespace we could use mathml.

Header just has to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
               "" [
  <!ENTITY mathml "">

We could add the latex syntax as html comments above the mathml
statements, so everybody can easily change the euqation using the
latex2mathml converter.