commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] HierarchicalConfiguration in configuration2
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:06:12 GMT
Ralph Goers schrieb:

> On Dec 20, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>>>
>> Just another point: There are other flat configuration implementations
>> that do not extend BaseConfiguration, e.g. the web configurations or
>> DatabaseConfiguration. AbstractFlagConfiguration was intended to serve
>> as a common base class for all of these.
>>
> I noticed that. I wondered why they don't extend BaseConfiguration
> instead. I guess I'm not clear why both are needed.
>
> Ralph

This is because of the different ways of storing configuration data.
BaseConfiguration uses a map for storing its properties in memory. Other
flat configurations use different storage mechanisms. For instance,
DatabaseConfiguration directly accesses the database on each property
access, the web configurations access their corresponding context objects.

AbstractFlatConfiguration was intended to implement the common
functionality needed by flat configurations, but without defining a
specific storage mechanism.

Oliver