commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] HierarchicalConfiguration in configuration2
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:28:06 GMT
Ralph Goers schrieb:

> On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers schrieb:
>>> The problem is that in applications using commons config they would
>>> like to specify an interface in lots of places.
>>> HierarchicalConfiguration would be perfect for that. It should just
>>> extend the Configuration interface.
>>
>> It was discussed that in configuration2 all configurations are
>> hierarchical. In this case there would be the single Configuration
>> interface, but it would offer the enhanced functionality which is now
>> provided by HierarchicalConfiguration.
>>

> Now I'm really confused. If this is true then why is there a "flat"
> package and why do things like the MapConfiguration extend from it?  I'm
> not sure how you intend to resolve this.
>
> Ralph

There are of course configurations like MapConfiguration that are not
hierarchical by nature. The classes in the "flat" package provide a
hierarchical view on these classes. The idea is that when a hierarchical
node structure is needed, it is constructed on the fly resulting in a
root node and all properties stored in the configuration as child nodes.
(So there is only a single layer hierarchy.)

But this is also experimental. I am not sure whether this is the way to
go or whether these configurations should be transformed into true
hierarchical configurations as is done by the
ConfigurationUtils.convertToHierarchical() method.

Oliver