commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: What is the correct <groupId>?! - WAS Re: [VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on EXEC_1_0_0_RC2 did not pass ....
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:08:06 GMT
The "correct" groupId with respect to what Maven recommends  should be
org.apache.commons.  However, if a groupId is changed and the package
names are not changed at the same time it will cause nothing but grief
for users of the project. This is because to maven commons-
exec:commons-exec:1.0 and org.apache.commons:commons-exec:1.1 are two
different artifacts and both will be used in the resultant build. Then
the packages will conflict and the resultant build will be a disaster.
The only way out of that is for the end user to specifically exclude
one or the other.

In short:
1. New projects should use org.apache.commons
2. Existing projects should change their package names at the same
time as the groupId is changed.

Ralph