commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.9 RC1 available
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:04:15 GMT
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 4:35 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> Surely Maven will use either whatever the JDK provides or whatever the
> POM specifies?

<snap/>

Yes.

> I did some more tests, and if I add xercesImpl and xml-apis to the
> dependencies, then Java 1.4.2 no longer reports any serialisation
> errors. This suggests that (some) Java 1.4.2 xml classes are not
> serialisable whereas Java 1.5.0+ are serialisable. Further, this
> suggests that SCXML will not be serialisable on Java 1.4 unless
> additional dependencies are provided.
>
> Have you not seen the serialisation errors when testing on Java 1.4.2?

<snip/>

I mostly use the IBM JDKs for development, testing and deployments.

I just reminded myself by trying various JDKs, here is the run down:
1) IBM JDKs use Xerces (which has a serializable impl)
2) Sun 1.5+ use an internally packaged Xerces
3) Sun 1.4 uses the now largely defunct Crimson

So, if and only if:
a) the usage needs serializability (not all library uses do), and
b) a DOM impl that isn't serializable is in use (such as Crimson)
then it'd be necessary to switch to a more helpful parser.

In any case, the tests are meant to spew copious warnings to remind
folks when the above is true, but they are not designed to fail since
there is nothing in the library source that needs changing.

-Rahul