commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/FederatedCommons
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:27:32 GMT
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Russel Winder
<russel.winder@concertant.com> wrote:
<big-snip/>

I think the bulk of this message would have been better off in a new
thread, marked [OT].

Some of these discussions have been happening at the ASF, on a more
appropriate list whose public archives are here:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/

> I guess I am in the "XML is a data specification language and has no
> right having a computational model, that's what dynamic languages like
> Groovy, Python and Ruby are for." camp, so I don't see the demise of
> Jelly as a problem.
>
> Of course graceful demise is entirely appropriate.  The question I have
> is whether putting effort into maintaining a demising system is worth it
> compared to putting that effort into transferring to a different (more
> appropriate, in my view) technology for dealing with the problem.  There
> are some very nice candidates for Ant and Maven replacements out there:
> Gant, Gradle and Buildr to name the obvious trio. (Disclosure:  I work
> on Gant and Gradle :-) These provides for scripting rather than having
> to create a plugin.
<snap/>

The fact is, any component in Commons Proper will continue to live on
as long as folks contribute to it (and contributions are welcome for
any part of Commons). Other options are often available, but thats
besides the point if folks care to continue contributing.

-Rahul