commons-dev mailing list archives

From "John Spackman" <john.spack...@zenesis.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:20:03 GMT
Hi,

We're still actively using Jelly and while the usefulness of some of the
extension modules may be debatable (and definitely without wishing to enter
into a debate of whether it is appropriate to have "executable" data), as a
core tool Jelly has allowed us to rapidly produce pluggable languages for
defining drawings, web services, schedules, JDBC configuration, and more
where the tag implementation configures POJOs.

Coincidentally, we've recently reached the point where we must make changes
to the code base (bug fixes and new features) and so a couple of weeks ago I
emailed James asking if he was still maintaining the project and if so what
is plans were and whether I'd be able to contribute.  Perhaps not
surprisingly I didn't receive a reply, and now it seems I might have broken
protocol by asking him direct instead of asking here.  My apologies if that
was inappropriate.

We have a number of changes to make to Jelly, and I am prepared to put
myself and my company forward as a maintainer.  If that's acceptable to you
all, the first task would be to briefly update the website and make a
maintenance release (there are some essential bug fixes in SVN that are not
in the official release), followed by various other fixes and additions in a
beta release.  Admittedly, my focus would be the core of Jelly and the core
tags - I do not use the additional tag libraries and would find it difficult
to provide a significant amount of regression testing and support for them
but I'll keep them going where possible and try to help out any users with
problems.

Is this something you would be interested in?  If the conclusion by the list
is that Jelly should still be retired then as an alternative would it be
possible for me to fork the Jelly project out of commons and into (for
example) SourceForge?

In case it makes a difference, I am not currently an Apache committer.

Regards,
John