commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] CombinedConfiguration.getSource()
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:11:42 GMT
ralph.goers @dslextreme.com schrieb:
> I don't understand why getSource throws an Exception when a property can be
> found in multiple configurations. If the property is not a list or if
> escaping is disabled then the value from the first Configuration the key is
> found in will be used. Shouldn't an Exception only be thrown when the value
> is constructed by merging values from two Configurations? (This only seems
> to happen if a String with the escape character is present). I'm writing a
> class that extends CombinedConfiguration and I wanted to changed this
> behavior so that it works that way but unfortunately findSourceConfiguration
> is private instead of protected so I can't reimplement getSource without
> also reimplementing findSourceConfiguration.

The getSource() method was added on behalf of CONFIGURATION-215 [1]. The
original request was a bit adapted to come to a more generic solution.
IIRC the usage scenario was that you have multiple child configurations
with different name spaces and want to uniquely identify the child
configuration that added a specific key. If multiple child
configurations define the key in question, no unique source can be
identified; hence the exception.

Do you propose making findSourceConfiguration() protected? I did not do
this in the past because I was not sure whether there would be another
use case for this method and I wanted to keep the API lean. But if you
need it, I am not against this change.

Oliver

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONFIGURATION-215