commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Interface vs class
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:01:31 GMT
Hi Ralph,

Ralph Goers wrote:

> FWIW, I agree. I must have missed the earlier discussion as well.  I
> definitely prefer having an interface that can be used whenever a
> specific implementation is not required.

The original arguing was, that an interface will always prevent an
enhancement because of backward compatibility. This is especially true for
the current Configuration code base.

Whenever I get a Configuration object passed, I cast it quite immediately to
an AbstractConfiguration to set the delimiter and throw mode. If
Configuration itself were an abstract class, those methods could have been
added long ago without breaking backward compatibility.

Look through the archives, the discussion with pros and cons went on
promoting commons-proxy.

- Jörg