commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confused about maven artifact groupIds
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:23:20 GMT
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Holger Hoffstaette <holger@wizards.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just noticed some strange inconsistencies with commons groupId,
>>> in my case for commons-io. I had a reference to
>>> org.apache.commons:commons-io:1.3.2 in my pom and wanted to update to 1.4,
>>> only to find that apparently the groupId had reverted to commons-io
>>> (without the apache namespace).
>>> What's up with that? Were the groupIds not supposed to migrate into the
>>> org.apache.commons namespace over time? Instead there are now some
>>> toplevel releases, some under org.apache.commons, and transitive dependency sets
are
>>> really messed up. :(

Fixing any incorrect referenences to 1.3.2 under org.apache.commons
and removing it from your local repo should resolve that. If its
something external that has that dependency, then you should be able
to add an exclusion. For an example of an exclusion see how its been
done for ant groupid here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-build-plugin/tags/commons-build-plugin-1.1/pom.xml

>> Commons IO 1.3.2 was a mistake - its under both org.apache.commons and
>> commons-io groupId:
>>
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/
>>
> <snip/>
>
> Yeah, even the pom under org/a/c/c-io has groupId "commons-io", so
> looks like operator error to me. We may be able to request removal
> from repo1 if we really want (unclear how much that helps vs. hurts
> ATM).

Its still in p.a.o - so we should start with removing it from there,
perhaps it will then get automatically removed from repo1.maven.org

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/commons/

Niall