commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <>
Subject Re: [net] 2.0 Release Ready For Review
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:12:06 GMT

In message <>, sebb
>On 22/09/2008, Oberhuber, Martin <> wrote:
>>  I'd rather put the examples into a separate Jar of their own,
>>  but again I'm not sure what other Commons projects do?
>That would be better - and/or on the web-site.
>They should be in the source jar as well.

I don't think the examples should be pre-compiled at all.  They are
source code examples that demonstrate how to use the API.  Unless
something has changed recently, they are not intended as fully
functional programs for actual use, which pre-compiling would
encourage.  Instead, they are a starting point for developers new to
the library to experiment, starting by compiling the examples for
themselves.  In effect, the examples serve as supplementary
documentation and should be treated the same as documentation.  At
least, that was the original intent, which may have been lost after

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message