commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Samuel Le Berrigaud" <samuel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compress vs. VFS
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:48:26 GMT
Hi Mario,

thanks for the reply.
I now have a better understanding of the relationship between those 2.
And I believe it does make sense :-)

A couple of questions regarding the compress APIs though. Please, let
me know if you guys would rather I create Jira issues for those.

* I see that the
Archive<http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/compress/apidocs/org/apache/commons/compress/Archive.html>
interface and the
ArchiverFactory<http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/compress/apidocs/org/apache/commons/compress/ArchiverFactory.html>
deal a lot with files.
Wouldn't it be better for those APIs to only (mostly) rely on I/O
streams? I believe the API shouldn't assume that a file system is
available (when it makes sense). To cite one of my colleagues "files
are evil" ;-) For example, I have a particular use case where I would
like to extract a zip file from a within a war file. I obviously can't
rely on files being available as nothing tells me whether the war is
deployed exploded or not. Getting a stream to the given zip file
however wouldn't be an issue?
What do you think?

* The Archive interface has the
"getEntryIterator"<http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/compress/apidocs/org/apache/commons/compress/Archive.html#getEntryIterator()>
method. However this method will not iterate through entries of an
existing archive but only through added entries. I believe this should
somehow allow me to iterate through all entries, existing and added.
Again what do you think?

Thanks,
SaM

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Mario Ivankovits <mario@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> What do you guys see being the big difference between the 2 approaches
>> and is that a good enough reason to keep both libraries?
>>

> VFS contains an old snapshot of compress just to being able to cut a
> release.
>
> Actually, compress is slowly evolving, once this has been finished we will
> remove that snapshot and have VFS depend on compress again, as it was
> before.
>
> VFS allows you e.g. to access a specific file within a compressed archive on
> an ftp server. All by just using a specific URL.
> It abstracts various different access methods an archives like ssh, smb,
> ftp, zip, bz2, tar etc.
>
> But, with compress as exception, it does not itself provide any
> implementation, vfs depends on various libraries for this and wrap them with
> the same api.
>
> Ciao,
> Mario

Samuel Le Berrigaud