commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git + tabs?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:57:11 GMT

On Jul 7, 2008, at 12:40, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> The compress codebase is full of tabs. If I go ahead and detab
>> things,
>> will that map happily over to your git tree? I don't want to make it
>> too painful for you to produce a patch that can come back.
>>

> I just reckoned that we didn't start to work against the svn codebase.
> Instead of that we build the project from scrach, merging all
> necessary
> code into the GIT repos. I guess i have to merge everything manually.
> If the policy is to use spaces instead of tabs, go ahead.
> I will change that in the GIT repos too and hope that the merge
> isn't too
> heavy :-)

Guys, hold your horse :)

The PMC has voted and we will merge everything back to SVN. Whoever
still wants to use git may still use git-svn of course.

I reckon we start polishing there.

But right now I am struggling with git to preserve to import it into
svn preserving the commits history. :-(

What I've tried:

  git-svn clone https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/compress/branches/redesign

  --revision 674375
  git-svn rebase

  Added to the .git/config:

   [remote "tcurdt"]
	url = git://vafer.org/compress.git
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

   [branch "tcurdt"]
	remote = tcurdt
	merge = refs/heads/master

Pull in the commits:

  git pull --rebase tcurdt master

Rewrite the log messages:

  git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'cat; if [ "$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" =
"Chris" ]; then echo; echo "Author: Christian Grobmeier (grobmeier@gmail.com
)"; fi;'
  git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'cat; if [ "$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME" =
"Cy" ]; then echo; echo "Author: Christian Grobmeier (grobmeier@gmail.com
)"; fi;'

Commit to subversion:

  git svn dcommit

Unfortunately the commit fails for me. And even "git-svn rebase" does
no longer work at that stage.

If anyone is more fluent with git - please help.

cheers
--
Torsten