commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] release preparation
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:28:54 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Matt Benson
>> <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> supposed

>> > As these were updates directly related to creating
>> > RC5, I have no idea how to appease you in this
>> regard.
>> >  :(
>>
>> Theres really two ways of doing this.
>>
>> 1) Do all the updates in the trunk and then tag
>> 2) Create a branch for the release, update there and
>> then tag
>>
>> IMO best to choose 1) if the whole focus is only on
>> the current
>> release and 2) if other people are want to continue
>> to do development
>> and not have to hold off on commits while the
>> release is being done.
>>

> So in the pursuit of (1) you would recommend doing all
> necessary changes, then rolling them immediately back
> after the tag has been copied?

No need to roll back, just roll forward once you have a successful
release. For me this has just been rolling on the version number to
the next SNAPSHOT.

Having said that, I usually tag from my local copy which just has the
version number change (all other changes, e.g. site committed to
trunk) - not sure if Rahul considers that equivalent to / as bad as
updating a Tag.

For example the last Chain release candidates:
  http://markmail.org/message/nk4v42ptxcuoemir
  http://markmail.org/message/2awdi7hntpqhmghw
  http://markmail.org/message/chkvopsanzwrlstq

Niall